Why do your friends have one but you don’t? Maybe because they ask for your Social Security Number??
Let’s explain why. There are two reasons why we need your social security number:
- The USA PATRIOT Act requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify and record information that identifies each person who opens a Card Account. What this means for you: When you open a Card Account, we will ask for your name, address, date of birth, social security number and other information that will allow us to reasonably identify you.
- By identifying you with your social security number, Cascade able to provide FDIC insurance through Sunrise Banks, N.A., their issuing bank, on all funds that you deposit on your FireFighters Prepaid MasterCard®.
How does Cascade protect your sensitive information, including your social security number?
Cascade takes security very seriously. They take the following steps to protect your social security number:
- Cascade encrypts your social security number the moment that they get it.
- Their processor then stores it using the highest level of encryption and security possible.
- Cascade destroys any trace of your full social security number on their system once they transmit it and only store the last four digits, fully encrypted, adhering to the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS).
Steve McClintock | Past President